metamerist

Sunday, September 23, 2007

"Because I'm cheap..."

Both Spolsky and Graham can write, but my favorite geeky writer is Paul Ford:

"...Admitting that I lack real talent for it, I've turned computer science into a hobby, like weekend landscape watercolorists or dabblers in piano. I mostly like it because I'm cheap. Piano, calligraphy, swinging, macrame--those require trips to special stores, catalog orders, lessons. Computer science is only there inside the machine, waiting for you to sit down with a copy of some heavy book or eager tutorial (the Web has many pushers trying to hook you on a syntax) and start twiddling. It seems that the discipline is entirely about cheapness. The glory goes to parsimony, to the algorithms that invest the fewest CPU cycles for the greatest return..."

link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home