metamerist

Monday, November 27, 2006

Text: the Next GUI

Perhaps the point-and-click interface will go away some day. Repeatedly, I find myself going to Google and typing "XYZ store locator" after hopelessly fishing through the flashy stab at a GUI on the XYZ web site.

Today, it was my cable company's channel listing page. Impatience with the cable company web page set in quickly. When I gave Google the name of the cable company and the word "listings," I immediately wound up right where I wanted to be. Google's becoming a first line of attack.

Text. It's the new GUI.

:)

I can only imagine our point-and-grunt troglodyte ancestors discovering the power and efficiency of language. Words, an effective form of communication. Who would have known?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home