metamerist

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Feedback Loops

After a little more experimentation with ExplorerCanvas, I've come to the conclusion rendering the Lorenz attractor with Javascript doesn't translate into seriously responsive software. Depending on how far you go with it, it's not intolerably slow in Firefox, but the combination of IE and ExplorerCanvas required more cycles than my patience would allow. I don't mean to denigrate anything here--and it's not like I tried to optimize it in any way--I'm just trying to get an idea of limits. Oh well, it's pretty, isn't it?



Continuing on with a feedback loop theme...

One of the zillion books on my wannareadlist is Dark Hero of the Information Age: In Search of Norbert Wiener The Father of Cybernetics (link).



If you're a fan of Weiner, I recommend reading the Amazon review by his former student John C. Kotelly, which contains a number of great personal anecdotes. (You'll find it on this Amazon page.) The review by Alwyn Scott is also well worth the read. Thanks to both of them for taking the time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Twinsen said...

Use Flash and be done. ;) Browser technology is still in dark ages.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home