metamerist

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Babble

Be forewarned this post is going to consist of random chaos.

After seeing his biography, I purchased Daniel Johnston's Discovered Covered. It's an interesting disc. Some of the songs are quite old, recorded on tape in the early 80s while played on a primitive old chord-organ after Johnston moved to Austin and had no piano at his disposal; according to the film, he also lacked dubbing equipment, so when he sold a tape, he'd start the process anew, rerecord another performance and work on selling that tape. It's a two-disc set with covers (Death Cab, Tom Waits, et al.) on the first disc and the originals on the second. Best tracks include Devil Town, Walking the Cow, Story of an Artist.

Cyndi Lauper writes about St. Paul Minnesota, Cyndi Lauper and the Stray Catholics and other events I mentioned the other day.



Gnarls Barkley scores a double with a great remake of the Violent Femmes' Gone Daddy Gone. Cool video.

Joel Spolsky reviews beyond Java and posts a link to Frederick P. Brooks' classic, prescient essay No Silver Bullet, a must read for anyone in software development.

Lately, I have been going through a streak of high-impact kitchen science. As far as Thai goes, I believe I've found the nearest source of holy basil. Love the stuff. The thought crossed my mind it might be good in a mojito; as usual, Google confirmed my lack of original thought. This Gai Pad Bai Gaprow recipe at Epicurious is good.

Ordered three of these digital refrigerator thermometers from Taylor Precision Products via Amazon. Unfortunately, it took USPS a month to get them to me, but I'm happy with them. How close can I get to 32 degrees F without freezing things?



Since I'm on the subject of kitchen products, I must say this OXO peeler has to be the best peeler in the world.



Another recommended Epicuious recipe that I've made a number of times: Filet Mignon with Mushrooms and Madiera. Very good, with the only possible improvement being thicker sauce (maybe it means I'm cutting reductions short). Looking for a cheaper meal, I made it with round steak last night, and it turned out fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home