metamerist

Monday, March 13, 2006

The Knowledge -- Part I

MIT's Technology Review just started an unsettling three part series on bioweapons technology.

Soviet scientists were developing plague-like bioweapons in the 1980s. Why aren't we listening more to a key defector?

"Regarding the progress of biotechnology, Popov told me, 'It seems to most people like something that happens in a few places, a few biological labs. Yet now it is becoming widespread knowledge.' Furthermore, he stressed, it is knowledge that is Janus-faced in its potential applications. 'When I prepare my lectures on genetic engineering, whatever I open, I see the possibilities to make harm or to use the same things for good -- to make a biological weapon or to create a treatment against disease.'"

link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home