metamerist

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Ikea Dilemma

We went to Ikea tonight.

Walking through the store, I notice they have a limited two year warranty on all clocks. I start thinking that it's nice to get a warranty, but when there's a warranty, I wonder how much I'm going to pay extra for that warranty in terms of higher prices. I mean, they have to get the money back somewhere. This is where the dilemma began.



Below the warranty sign, they're selling these little plastic alarm clocks--the "Alleby" model--and they're going for twenty-five cents each. Not bad, considering the two year warranty, but this is where the dilemma really began take over.



I start thinking ahead. I imagine myself walking in the door with my brand new Alleby. Next, I decide that I better fill out the warranty card and send it in--if I don't do it right away, it never gets done, so I reach for a stamp, a 39 cent stamp...

Stop!

Wait a minute, the stamp is more than 150% the price of the clock!

Given the economics of the situation, I may as well just buy two and forget about sending in any warranty cards; if the first one dies, I'll have a spare and I'll save a whopping 14 cents. And what would happen if I sent in the warranty and the first one failed under warranty? Would I have to send it back with postage costing eight times as much as the clock?

On second thought, maybe I should just get one clock, see how long it lasts and come back and get another one if it breaks down. On third thought, the gas to come back here is going to cost more than a second clock.

How do situations that should be simple become so complicated?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home