metamerist

Saturday, March 18, 2006

I Rule!

My mother seems to be an expert at looking at the bright side of things, offering up aphorisms of yore like "I complained about my shoes until I met a man with no feet!" So I think I'll have to give her some credit for my coping skills and ability to shine new light on a bad situation. Thanks, Mom.

Now, rather than spewing expletives when one of my computers comes to a grinding halt, I am beginning to think of it as a gladiator battle between me and the CPU. On one side of the Colosseum is Metamerist, on the other side is Athlon 64.

Let the games begin!

My favorite weapons in this gladiator battle are Windows XP and a small cadre of demanding applications. Spartacus, eat your heart out. Just to put things into perspective, here's a little chart that demonstrates just how powerful today's processors are in terms of yesterday's supercomputers:



Everytime I bring my computer to its knees, where it's screaming for mercy, the hard drive sounds like a band saw and the system is straining to paint anything more than one scan line per second, I just want to jump up in the air with the two clenched fists of a champion à la Chariots of Fire.

I win!

I rule!

I'm so good I can't wait to take a swing at something with the power of a Cray-90.

It's all about how you look at things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home