metamerist

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Film in 2005: Part II of possibly more...

Moving on to three films containing Owen Wilson...

As far as Wes Anderson fandom goes, I was late to the party, but better late than never. I finally got around to seeing Bottle Rocket (1996) this past year and absolutely loved it. If you're a Wes Anderson fan and you've never seen this, his first film, I know what you should be doing tonight.

2005 also had me watching Anderson's Life Aquatic, an experience which led to strange reactions. Drawing on my experiences and what I liked about Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums, I expected a different film. I left feeling a little unsatisfied and angry, but the more I reflected, the more it grew on me. Note: On the soundtrack, Seu Jorge's excellent Portuguese versions of David Bowie are worth a listen.

The last Owen Wilson film I saw in 2005 was Wedding Crashers, a film that made me laugh so hard my cheeks hurt. Many found 40-year-old Virgin funnier, but large sums of money accompanied by threats of corporal punishment would be required to get me to see 40 again. I found it crass, tiresome and painfully predictable.

Finally, a Wes Anderson factoid.



Kumar Pullana (b. 1919) was cast in Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and Tennenbaums. Others may remember him as Gupta from Spielberg's The Terminal. According to his bio on IMDB, Kumar was discovered by Wes Anderson, and he is the "Former proprietor of the Cosmic Cup coffee shop on Oak Lawn Avenue in Dallas where director Wes Anderson used to hang out."

(to be continued... hopefully)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home